Friday, August 24, 2012

Dynamic Ministry at the Olympic Games

Earlier this week I enjoyed a phone conversation with my friend and colleague from the United Kingdom, Stuart Weir of Verite Sport www.veritesport.org. He and I discussed his ministry at the London Olympic Games and the potential for this model in future games. His work as an “in country” atttache’ for the Togo Olympic Committee afforded him unique opportunities and tremendous access to various venues. His ability to speak French and his familiarity with London were key to this opportunity. May we be similarly creative and available to serve at major sporting events or even local sports events of any level.

 
Please read Stuart’s ministry update for even more insights into this month’s ministry.

 
Update

The Olympics from every perspective seemed a thoroughly enjoyable and most successful sporting events ever. For me it was hard work and long hours but at the same time an immense privilege to be part of it.

 
Aims

I was in an unusual role as Olympic Attaché for Togo. At the outset I had four aims:

1 To provide logistical back-up for the team of 19 international chaplains.

2 To fulfil my commitments to the Togo Olympic Committee who had asked me to be their Olympic Attaché.

3 To support Christian Olympians whom I knew.

4 To enjoy the games.

 
Chaplaincy logistics

It was exciting that LOCOG allowed us 19 international (Protestant) chaplains. I managed the budget, travel arrangements, accommodation, provided UK mobile phones and generally helped with orientation. Several were kind enough to say that the infra-structure was the best at any event they had ever worked at.

 
Togo Olympic Attaché

The role of the Olympic Attaché is not clearly defined in the Olympic Charter. The word “liaison” is mentioned a few times. My role was to do what was asked of me using my knowledge of how to get things done in the UK. Practical tasks such as getting business cards printed, screen-printing of the running vests the athletes wore, ordering Togolese flags on the internet, liasing with the uniform supplier were typical tasks I undertook. Paying bills – as I was the only one with a Visa Card – was at times a little scary as the debts mounted but, in the end, all was repaid to me.

I had the opportunity to attend meetings that were absolutely fascinating such as the team reception meeting in which every name, role etc is checked against LOCOG’s records, and a briefing for athletics coaches. Each time I was asked to attend to facilitate matters.

The team press attaché seemed somewhat disinterested in his responsibilities so I found myself fielding press enquiries like why was our hurdler disqualified. I also set up an interview for our 13 year old swimmer with CNN. I wore team uniform every day after I finally received it. I marched with the team to our official welcome ceremony. I would have been part of the Opening Ceremony except that the team was only allowed 6 non athletes.

The accreditation privileges given to the Olympic Attaché are wide ranging. While I did not sleep in the Village – well not at night – I had access to the Village at all times. I ate in the athletes’ restaurant and travelled on athletes’ transport. In the sports venues I had access to the warm-up areas, the athletes’ stand and the Olympic Family Lounge [free food and drink]. While this made the games more enjoyable than I had expected, it also created unprecedented ministry opportunities.

Supporting Christian athletes

From my work in previous years I knew about 35 Christians who were participating in the Olympics. I decided to send them all a daily devotion in the style of my weekly devotion but with a focus on the Olympics and a bit shorter. About ten of them thanked me for it, one said she was sending it on to several team mates. That was an encouragement. One emailed me: “The daily messages were great as well. A perfect little shot of Jesus at just the right time!”

Having access to the Village, the dining room, transport and warm-up areas meant that I was constantly bumping into athletes. It was not a situation for many deep conversations – more a word of encouragement and a prayer.

The tunnel between the stadium and the warm-up area became holy ground for me. I was able to walk the length of the tunnel with several athletes – a unique opportunity permitted by the access I was allowed.

By the end of the Games I had prayed with 20 different athletes – some of them several times. To pray with someone on the day of the most important competition was an immense privilege.

I had produced a prayer diary and circulated it to friends. A number of Olympians said it was a real encouragement to know that people were praying for them on the day of the competition.


Enjoying the Games

I love major sports events, the buzz, the excitement, the atmosphere. London 2012 was so special. Being in the stadium for so many exciting events was indescribable. Being on the inside as part of the Togo delegation was an amazing privilege. The access to athletes created so many opportunities to serve. See photos at www.veritesport.org

 
The Paralympics

Next week I am off to the Paralympics. Again I am doing logistics for the international chaplains. I will be accredited as a journalist and doing some newspaper writing. Again I will be supporting the Christians I know, about 5-6, and also also hoping to make new contacts.

 
Prayer

Pray for the ministry of the chaplains to the Paralympics.

Pray for the Christian athletes – Stef in sprint and long jump, Michael and Anna in Goalball.

Pray for me that I would be in the right place at the right time for divine appointments.



Stuart Weir

Verité Sport

Tel + 44 (0) 1865 864265

No comments: