Friday, June 28, 2019

Divinely Ruined


A number of years ago, while conversing with my dear friend and ministry partner, David Maragni, he said, “Rog, we have been divinely ruined.” My friend’s simple phrase really resonated in my soul as it’s a spot on description of what the Lord has done to me. He has ruined me in so many ways that have shaped my view of the world, sport, the Church, and the Kingdom of God.

A few examples of how I am divinely ruined are listed below:
o   I prefer the sound of sport (cracks of baseballs colliding with bats) to the sounds of music (even U2).
o   I prefer the smell of ballpark grilles or the menthol in a gym to the incense in a cathedral.
o   I prefer listening to the sounds of a one hour sports practice to the sounds of my talking anywhere.
o   I prefer sporting events to motion pictures.
o   I much prefer sports culture to church culture.
o   I prefer being on the field, court, or pitch over free, first row field boxes, or luxury suites at the stadium.
o   I prefer faithfulness over fame.
o   I prefer walking through international airports over driving my car, anywhere.
o   I prefer leading a baseball chapel for 10 players in a dugout over speaking to a crowd of hundreds at a church service.
o   I prefer grace over greed.
o   I prefer relationships over religious ritual.
o   I prefer significance over celebrity.

Dave and I, possibly you as well, have been divinely ruined toward God’s purposes. He has uniquely wired us to prefer things that make most people tilt their heads and wonder, “What’s wrong with them?” We’re divinely ruined, in the best possible ways. Let’s live freely in our extraordinarily shaped souls.

No comments: