Friday, September 5, 2014

More Prayer in Sport

It’s been a month since I first wrote about the lack of models for prayer that we have offered the people of sport. Rather than just bemoan this fact, I have begun to write some such prayers about various matters, situations, and issues in sport which I have prayed and believe we need to present models for prayer. Please send along your comments, suggestions, and editing remarks. A few new prayers are below for your review or even to pass along to those you serve.

Prayer for off-season training:
Father,
The season seems like it is so distant that my flesh tempts me with idle thoughts of leisure.
My heart longs to compete and my body needs to train.
Please fuel my entire being with energy, passion, and strength for this session of training.
Fill my mind with visions of victory, my soul with the rhythm of powerful movement, and my heart with worshipful, exhilarating expression of Your worth.
I pray in Jesus' strong name,
Amen.

Prayer for an injured teammate:
Father,
My teammate is injured and I confess my shock, fear, and utter helplessness.
Please minimize his pain, heal his body, and restore him to compete again.
Please be very near to him in these moments of alienation and fear.
I commit my teammate; body, mind, and spirit, to Your lovingkindness.
Amen.

Half-time prayer:
Father,
Half of this day's competition in (sport) is complete.
Thank you for carrying my teammates and me through it.
I confess the sin that was revealed in it and I seek to do better in the next half.
Please enable my coaches and teammates to adjust well, to be refreshed, and to experience another half of (sport) in Your honor, surrounded
by Your presence.
Amen.

Prayer during time outs:
Father,
As competition has paused, my heart will rest, my mind will refresh, and my spirit will be renewed.
I return to compete powerfully, to serve selflessly, and to lead fearlessly.
Amen.

Post-game prayer:
Father,
Thank you for today's competition.
Thank you for energizing my effort, renewing my mind, inhabiting my spirit, and receiving my effort as an act of worship.
I confess the sin You revealed as I competed.
I release the results, my performance, and tonight's rest and recovery to Your gracious care.
Amen.

Prayer for renewed strength:
Almighty Father,
My legs feel rubbery and my back is sore.
My arms hang down and my shoulders slump.
Please infuse me with Your strength.
Please restore power to my body, mind, and spirit.
You are the strength of my life and my portion forever.
I commit all that I am and all that I have to You.
In Jesus' strong name I pray,
Amen.

Prayer for approaching a stressful moment:
Wise and Gracious Father,
Thank you for the way that (sport) tests all that I am.
These next hours will stress all that I profess to believe and to practice.
Please renew my heart to strongly serve You and Your purposes at every moment.
I commit this day, its competition, its stress, and its results to You.
I rest in Your peace and stride ahead in Your confidence.
Amen.

Prayer to process a poor play or a disappointing performance:
Father,
I am not pleased with my most recent performance in (sport).
I confess the sin and weakness that was exposed by my reaction to failure.
I affirm the security of heart the and peace of mind afforded by Your love, grace, and mercy.
I am presently and eternally reminded that my identity is found in relationship with You.
I commit myself to continuing development as a competitor and as a follower of Christ.
In Jesus' strong name I pray.
Amen.

Prayer after a satisfying performance:
Father in Heaven,
Thank You for this most satisfying experience in (sport).
I know I was surrounded Your presence throughout the contest
I am pleased with the results, but find more satisfaction in the whole process.
I sense Your hand in the preparation and in the competition..
Thank You for my rich and fulfilling life in (sport).
Amen.

Prayer after a bitter defeat:
Father,
Losing like this is painful and leaves a bitter taste in our mouths.
Failures like this threaten to rob us of the joy and satisfaction we love about (sport).
Please restore my heart, my body, and my mind.
Help us learn from this defeat and return to compete again.
Please return to us the passion for and fulfillment of our lives in (sport).
Amen.

Prayer for one's coaches:
Father,
Thank you for providing wise, skilled, and inspirational coaches for our team.
I respect their authority, trust their judgment, and affirm their leadership.
May they coach strongly, lead compassionately, and compete courageously.
May my teammates and I exemplify loyalty, passion, and teamwork as we follow our coaches.
I pray in Jesus' strong name.

Amen.

No comments: