Friday, March 27, 2009

Scripture and Prayer

A couple of months ago I wrote about the emails and text messages I had been sending to a college baseball coach who is in a battle with cancer. The battle continues and so do the emails and text messages. Below are a couple of those sent lately.

This simple form of scripture and a written prayer seems to be making a difference with him. I am trusting in the Lord’s commitment to the power of scripture to transform my friend’s heart and to fuel his daily battle with disease, to make wise decisions as he leads his family, his coaching staff and his players. I’ve been to lots of games this spring, but our conversation is limited because it’s game day and there’s lots going on in the dugout. This correspondence is private and one on one.

If you have opportunities to correspond with people of sport, especially if they are rather irreligious, this sort of communication can hit the mark. It’s not about being clever, it’s about how the scripture can speak directly to their hearts and how prayer can help them connect with the Lord. Give it a shot. It just might work!

Coach,

Your team has battled strongly this weekend, I trust they will finish this series powerfully and well. I’ll look forward to seeing you at the ballpark this afternoon. They seem to gather strength from your being in the dugout.

Isaiah 41:10 “Fear not, for I am with you;

Be not dismayed, for I am your God.
I will strengthen you,
Yes, I will help you,
I will uphold you with My righteous right hand.”

Prayer –
Father in Heaven,
Because You are with me I will not fear.
You are my God and I will not be dismayed.
I will trust You for strength and help.
I will trust You to hold me up in Your righteous right hand.
Please fill me with your love, grace and power for this day.
In the strong name of Jesus Christ,
Amen


Coach,

Here is some scripture to fuel your heart, even if your team is in Omaha, but you’re not…

James 5:13-17

“Are you hurting? Pray. Do you feel great? Sing. Are you sick? Call the church leaders together to pray and anoint you with oil in the name of the Master. Believing-prayer will heal you, and Jesus will put you on your feet. And if you've sinned, you'll be forgiven—healed inside and out.

Make this your common practice: Confess your sins to each other and pray for each other so that you can live together whole and healed. The prayer of a person living right with God is something powerful to be reckoned with.”


Prayer –
Almighty God my Father,
· Thank You for these words of encouragement and challenge.
· When I’m hurting, I’ll pray.
· When I feel great, I’ll sing.
· When I’m sick, I’ll call out to godly men who will pray for me.
· I trust that believing-prayer will heal me and Jesus will put me on my feet.
· I trust You for the forgiveness of my sins and I’ll be healed, inside and out.
· I believe that my prayers will be something to be reckoned with because You have made things right between us.
· I commit this day, this road trip and this series of games to Your care.
In Jesus’ name,
Amen

No comments: