Thursday, January 22, 2009

Restructuring

Below is an article by Bill Houston, chaplain to the Grand Rapids Rampage of the Arena Football League in the USA (American football). It contains good insight and perspective. Thank you Bill.


In December, the Arena Football League owners made the decision to cancel the 2009 season. The reason: to restructure and re-evaluate the way they do business. In light of these tough economic times, we should not be surprised. The goal is to come up with a business plan that will allow them to take the field once again in 2010.Still, I was crushed! I have enjoyed serving as team chaplain for the Grand Rapids Rampage for the last 10 seasons. I cannot begin to tell you what a blessing it has been getting to know coaches, players, front office staff, and arena personnel.


The Lord truly gave me the desires of my heart. (Psalm 37:4) But I have been giving a great deal of thought to this whole idea of restructuring. Businesses (and professional sports leagues) face it and I believe this happens as followers of Christ.

The Lord has impressed upon my heart how I can "restructure" during this down time. Here are just a few suggestions that you are probably already doing, but serve as good reminders:
· Journaling. Jot down those thoughts God places upon your heart as you read His Word and spend time in prayer. Ask "where do I need to restructure in my life?"
· Get away from the office, the phones, the emails and text messages for a day or two. Spend time alone with God and work on your restructuring plan.
· Invest in someone's life one-on-one.
· If you do not already have someone, seek out a trusted friend who you can be accountable to.
· Most of all... pray without ceasing, trust God's goodness and grace, and follow the principles He has outlined for us in His Word.

I have adopted James 1: 2-8 as my "restructuring" point of reference, knowing that trying times are necessary for growth, stability, and opportunities for future ministry. I am hoping the Arena Football League will come through their time of restructuring with a plan of stability and growth... I am trusting the Lord for the same in my life.

Bill HoustonChaplain-Grand Rapids Rampage

No comments: