Saturday, March 15, 2014

Forgotten People in Sport


All through this weekend I’ve been at a state high school basketball tournament. On this weekend the four remaining teams from across the state’s elimination (one off) tournament meet in a flurry of games between both boys and girls teams. My son is officiating four games during the weekend. It is his first assignment to this most prestigious tournament and is likely the apex of this officiating career. Seeing him serve so well in this role makes me more aware than ever that sports officials are the most forgotten or overlooked people in sports ministry.
 
In my earlier days, I was a wrestling official for thirteen years. Those years coincided with the development of my view that faith and sport should be integrated, rather than compartmentalized. I approached my role as an official with prayer, intense preparation, and careful scrutiny. That approach led to my rapid ascent in the ranks of high school officials in my state and I was in line to work the state finals, as my son just has, but I chose to prioritize watching him play basketball each winter to watching everyone else’s children wrestle, make good money, and enjoy the satisfaction of excellence in sport officiating. That was a hard decision.
 
I’d like to challenge us all to pay a bit more attention to the referees, the umpires, the linesmen, and other sports officials. Let’s not chime in with the loud rants of complaining about their judgments (though I must confess to doing this) and let’s rather keep in mind that they are people with immortal souls who need to know the Lord Jesus. Let’s also be mindful that some of them are already believers in Christ and may be, as I was, seeking to honor Him by how they arbitrate their sport. Let’s pray that they do their craft well, that they respect the coaches, competitors, and other officials, and that they do all they can to honor the sport and its loving Creator.

No comments: