Friday, November 1, 2013

Most / Least Effective - Responses

Responses to last week's questions are below. I hope they are of value to you and to those you serve.

1)   When, where and in what settings do you feel like you are being most effective in your service of the men and women of sport?
2)   When, where and in what settings do you feel like you are being least effective in your service of the men and women of sport?
From Kevin Anundson (Southwest Minnesota State University USA)
Most effective: when we host the SMSU athletes at a lecture room with a “banquet table” that is filled with food every Thursday night. Our aim is that the room is representative of Christian Love.
Least effective: would be as a spectator.
From Cole Espenshied (FCA – Peoria, IL USA)-
Most effective:  when doing life with coaches and athletes in community and there is relationship.  Coaches huddle (God’s word & prayer specifically), sharing a meal, in practice consulting or serving, camp settings.
Least effective: emails, showing up unexpected or having not met a coach, putting on a coaches “event” at times.
From Fr. Brian Cavanaugh (Franciscan University Steubenville, OH USA)
My most effective time with the rugby team is at the weekly Friday night team Mass in the Friary chapel. They are the only team that has a regular team Mass in the friary, and they know it is special. The Friday readings in the Common Lectionary are terrific to use with sports teams. Paul has lists  of virtues, talks about competing well - agonizomai - and more. A focus for the Franciscan University athletics program is "Sport: a School of Moral Values" as championed by Blessed John Paul II.
Also, being at the games, offering a Team Prayer <http://www.appleseeds.org/Rugby-Team-Prayer.htm> before kickoff, and providing words of encouragement for them to play with absolute passion and utmost dignity.
My least effective area might be in ministering to the coaches. I try to support them and text them after games with words of support and encouragement. For years this has been an area of disconnect, but this past season has greatly improved. Maybe it's because I finally got a smartphone too.
From Daniel Chappell (FCA Danville, IL USA) –
I feel I am most effective in my service of the men and women of sport when I am ministering to them on their turf. Whether it’s in his/her office, practice field, or classroom, I feel like I make the most impact in the lives of people of sport when I’m engaged where they are engaged. I know there is great value in a Bible study, but I’m willing to bet coaches are more active and comfortable at a Bible study held on their turf. I don’t won’t to marginalize ministry centered around the local church, but I do think we are most effective when we engage folks in their environment. As an addendum to this question, I often appeal to Lowrie McCown’s evangelism scale in regard to the manner in which I will engage a person of sport. The more the individual is invested in sport, the more personal my interaction becomes.
If my purpose is to minister to men and women of sport in the context of sport, I feel least effective when I am engaging him/her outside sport-related milieu.
From Mike Hansen (Calvary Church St. Charles, MO USA) –
Three overall guidelines that drive my ministry:
1. Simple purpose is to serve
2. Never ask any coach or player for anything
3. Hang around, let them approach on their terms
4. Goal is to see them "know and grow" in their walk with Christ
Most effective:
1. Hanging around - by far the most effective, after practice, in the dining room, in the trainer's room, just getting a chance to share life with them and let them approach you on their own terms!
2. Bible Study - very intentional time of pouring truth into their lives and building relationships
3. In Adversity - after an injury, death of a family member, relationship issues. Nothing like meeting them where they are at and loving them through it! Builds trust and relationship.
Least effective:
1. Game Day - good optics to see you there, but not a day to engage much for obvious reasons
2. Before practice - respect their time with coaches and team mates
From Cristobal Chamale (Atletas en Accion, Guatemala) –
I feel more effective with the sports people sharing bible studies in the locker room (this is our chapel time in Guatemala because we do not have the concept of chaplaincy and this is something that the teams and people do not understand because they relate quickly to a religion or church and I do not want that they take it in this way). I feel effective sharing in their private life giving counseling and creating a safe environment where they can share me some critical and personal needs when they need to make serious decisions.
I am not too effective during their game day because in Guatemala the tournaments are most play during Sundays and I use to explain them that this is the day that I use to full my tank to have more to share with them...but sometimes I do it and is a great time.
From Ed Gomes (Liberty University Lynchburg, VA USA) –
Most effective: When student-athletes are open to hearing spiritual truth that impacts all four areas of the athletes life (Academic, Athletic, Social and Spiritual).
Least effective: In the area where the message is not interrupted  (Could be in my office, on the bus, practice field or cafeteria, etc.
From Mike Berg (North Dakota, USA) –
I would say that I am most effective just having informal conversations with the players while walking from the locker room to the field, standing on the sideline during practice and talking with players while they're not engaged in a drill or a structured segment.  I've also found that injured players who are at practice, but not able to participate, are often miserable about having to sit out and anxious to visit - these are some of our best and most productive conversations.  The game day chapels serve a great purpose, but there have to be ways to connect with the players who choose not to attend those voluntary services.  The players who attend the chapels either already "get it", or are at least aware of the value of being there.  The challenge is to at least make the other players aware of your presence in the daily routine of meetings and practice.
From Amanda Roberts (USA) –
Most effective: In the locker room hanging out or on the bus rides to and from games.
Least effective: During the off season.

No comments: