Friday, October 18, 2013

Rewarding Moments

Our university’s football program (American Football) recently celebrated its 100 year anniversary of competing in that sport. As a part of the celebration they chose an “All-Century Team” of players and coaches from across that span of time. They chose a number of players from each position and three coaches, totaling eighty-three in all. Quite a few of them were able to attend the events which included a dinner with a program, a tailgate prior to the game and introductions of each of the chosen players during half-time of the game. It was a great weekend and a tremendous opportunity to see many of the players whom I’ve known over my twenty seasons of serving the team.
 
That weekend and several occasions since then have led me to reflect on the rewarding moments that we often experience in our roles of service. I  am listing many of these below and I hope they raise your awareness as to such opportunities. There are enough painful moments, days of doubt and frustration, periods of worry and misunderstanding, don’t you dare miss the moments of reward. A couple of these per year can keep me in the harness through months of criticism and barrenness.
 
·        Phone calls – an occasional call from a player who asks for prayer prior to a job interview or announces the birth of his new baby is warmly received and touches the soul.

·        Text messages – the brief, direct communication I receive from players and coaches goes straight to my heart when they share news or ask for prayer.

·        Returning players – at homecoming games, during special events like mentioned above or on any occasion, the smiles, hugs, back slaps, and the stories told between the team chaplain and the players who have gone on in their lives and careers, are priceless.

·        Weddings – I have been privileged to lead several couples, made up of collegiate athletes or coaches, through the preparations for marriage and their wedding ceremonies. The opportunity to serve them in this way and to help shape their relationships is richly rewarding and a little intimidating in its importance.

·        Births – for some of the couples whose weddings I have been privileged to officiate, I have also been present on the days their babies were born. To visit the family, to hold their newborn and to be asked to pray for their child is among my life’s greatest privileges. I feel like Simeon from the book of Luke blessing the Christ child.

·        Facebook messages – a few times across the years of my having a presence on Facebook I have been stunned to receive a message from a player from many years past describing the impact of our ministry upon his or her life. The fact that all of that person’s friends and all of my friends can also read the message is humbling and touches my heart deeply.

·        Funerals – this one may not be so obviously rewarding, but to be present when people’s hearts are laid open by grief provides us with opportunities to love them deeply and without resistance. Such moments also prompt some vulnerable expressions of gratitude and reflection by those we serve. To walk with them through the pain is worth it when we connect this deeply.

 
I am sure I could find some more, but I trust this short list of rewarding moments will be sufficient to fuel your imagination for the discovery of similar instances in your experience and even in your future. Let’s love extravagantly and serve selflessly.

No comments: