Friday, March 15, 2013

Benefits of long-term service

From time to time I have written about the benefits of having served in the same setting for a number of years. Last November I completed my nineteenth season with a college football team (American Football). Over those years I have done constant evaluation and analysis of my ministry strategies, methods, attitudes and more. I occasionally second guess myself regarding how strongly I call for commitment, whether I call too strongly and risk being manipulative or whether I am too soft in my approach and risk having no effect.

 
When I receive feedback from former players, sometimes from as many as fifteen years ago, it causes me to think I’m on the right track. I received the facebook message below from one such former player, now a husband and father. I hope that his comments will encourage you in the work you do, with or without immediate results. His note assures us that our work is never without impact.

 
Roger,

I never took the time to thank you while I was in college. You planted seeds that I didn't even know I needed. As a kid we went to church. In college, the only church I got came from FCA. in college I never took the time to live my life like I should as an authentic CHRISTIAN. As an adult, with kids of my own, my walk has changed for the better. God and church are the center of our family.

The last month we have been planning a retreat for middle and high school students. I have had to do some major reflecting back on my walk. I get to share my walk and my story with 150 students on March 2nd. While doing this I realized how important your messages were in keeping my life from completely straying from God.

Thank you for what you do for these kids and what you did for me. What you do matters. It may not sink in until 15 years later, but the message doesn't get lost. Please tell Sharon I said hello and again thank you.

(Name withheld)

No comments: