Friday, February 15, 2013

Ministry of Presence - Stuart Weir

Our colleague and friend from Oxford, England, Stuart Weir, has a unique ministry with athletes (Track and Field) and their coaches in the UK and beyond. Below is an email I recently received from him regarding his ministry at an event. I hope it will encourage you and even fuel your vision for how you may serve similarly. Thanks Stuart!

 
In addition, I would recommend that you visit his web site http://www.veritesport.org and follow him on twitter @stuartweir.

 
I spent the weekend at Sheffield at the British Athletics Indoor Championships and trials for the European championships in Sweden in March. I think you are now familiar with what I do at athletics events – a kind of ministry of presence. In advance I had identified six Christians – and 4 Oxford athletes. One other explanation. Indoor athletics is a strange beast. For some, it is very important with selection for the European champs a real ambition. For other competing indoors just breaks up the pattern of winter training.

 
Saturday could not have started better. With the action starting at 12, I decided to leave home at 8. Before leaving I texted an athlete saying I was around. Instant reply, “Could we meet for coffee at 11.30?” Had an hour and a half with the athlete, shared a verse and a prayer.

 
On to the arena where I watched the action and had a few quick conversations in the mixed zone. The highlight of the afternoon was the final of the women’s 60 metres in which there were 3 Christians that I knew of. They were all beaten by Asha Philip, coached by Christine Bowmaker. I am told that coach Christine was almost doing cartwheels afterwards! I also had a couple of conversations with athletes who were watching but not competing.

 
Sunday morning produced the long awaited SWM. My phone rang. A voice said “This is XXX (top athletics coach). I got your message why do you want to meet me?” I was flummoxed! Then I worked it out. I had spoken to an athlete yesterday and agreed to try to meet today. He gave me his phone number. Well actually he gave me is coach’s phone number!! I explained to a confused coach who I was and that I did not want to meet him! Emailed the athlete who said he would not be there today!

 
Spent the rest of Sunday watching and encouraging athletes. The highlight was when a new contact suggested that I meet her at training this week. And an Oxford athlete got an unexpected bronze.

 
All in all an excellent two days.

 
Stuart

J Stuart Weir

Executive Director

Verite Sport

19 The Glebe

Cumnor

Oxford

OX2 9QA


No comments: