Saturday, August 20, 2011

Game-Day Music

To what are the players listening on their iPods? What is going on inside those headphones and ear buds? Is there a purpose to the music players listen to prior to competition? How do they choose their favorite game-day music? I went searching for answers to these questions and more in a recent poll of university athletes from a variety of sports. The results and some observations follow.

 
One football player told me, “I listen to really chill music; mainly acoustic guitar and someone singing. I also a little gospel/Christian. I use it to keep me mellow and not let my emotions get out of control. It does a good job helping me focus my mind.”

 
A softball player said, “Listening to music on game day is a way to get pumped or just get in game mode, it all depends on the person. We normally listen to rap in the locker room because overall that's what everyone likes. Personally, I like to listen to some alternative with a little bit of oldies mixed in there to mellow me out. I think that relaxing before a game is important because once the first pitch is thrown, it's all business plus the adrenaline is running until the last and final out. Music makes a huge difference because silence makes things awkward, but with music playing while getting ready for a game or while working out is a way to stay motivated and focused.”

 
One swimmer sent this reply, “I've gone to mainly Christian rap or Christian rock. I usually have to have something with a quicker beat, because sometimes the song affects stroke tempo in a race. But definitely always Jesus music! It helps me focus on Him in a time I'd normally not be giving Him a second thought. Doing that has radically changed racing for me, handling pressure for sure, but especially in how I handle the outcome.”

 
Another swimmer told me, “Early on race days I listen to rock or other up beat music to help my emotions get geared up and motivated. As the time for my race approaches, I switch to mellow, instrumental or worship music to help my mind relax. The change in musical styles helps my mood change and to be mentally well prepared to race.”

 
Now some observations: Music is a remarkable tool and a powerful vehicle for shaping one’s mental and emotional state. It can help energize as well as relax. It can motivate and assist contemplation. It can be helpful or harmful, depending upon how applied and what music is chosen.

 
I have seen some players who listen to music that is powerful, frenetic and violent in lyric and style. They often also play that way. That is often less than helpful to their performances as they play on the edge of rage. This results in penalties, trash talking and out of control competition. Other players are so mellowed out by their music that they seem to sleep walk through the early stages of the game. They appear to be under-stimulated.

 
If you have opportunity to help players choose their game-day music, suggest music that motivates them to be their best, that speaks to their hearts and stimulates their desire to honor Christ by how they compete. I hope they can join our young swimmer who said, “It (music) helps me focus on Him (Jesus) in a time I'd normally not be giving Him a second thought. Doing that has radically changed racing for me, handling pressure for sure, but especially in how I handle the outcome.”

No comments: