Friday, August 1, 2014

Prayer in Sport

During my recent extended vacation I had some time to think and to incubate some ideas. As I was sitting in an airport I was thinking about how we encourage players and coaches to pray about sport, but how negligent we have been in providing models for prayer in sport. About what should they pray? How should they pray about it? Is sport even worthy of prayer? I repented and began to brainstorm issues, moments, and situations in the life of a sportsperson in which prayer could be helpful.

I then spent some time drafting a few prayers and then tweeted, text messaged, and emailed them to some sportspeople, friends and colleagues for their commentary. I was amazed by the universal acceptance and even comments from the sportspeople (professional baseball players) who said things like, “This is really helpful.”

Below is a simple example of one such prayer.

Prayer for the consecration of sport:
Father,
Thank you for (sport).
(Sport) is a beautiful and valuable part of Your creation.
I commit this day's experience in (sport) to You and ask that You receive it as an offering, holy and acceptable.
(Sport) is our reasonable act of worship as we offer our bodies in Your service .
Amen.

I would like to hear from you. What are some issues, moments in a sportsperson’s life, situations and such that we could address with simple, scripturally sound, prayer? My “stream of consciousness” draft list is below, along with some other drafts of prayers. Let’s collaborate to provide some good models of prayer for the lives of men and women of sport.

Prayer of thanksgiving for sport:
Father,
Thank you for (sport). It engages my body, my mind, and my spirit in pursuit of victory, joy, and fulfillment.
Thank You for allowing me to sense both Your presence and Your pleasure as I compete.
Amen.

Prayer prior to the start of competition:
Father,
Thank You for another opportunity to compete and to honor You in the process.
Please receive every moment, every breath, every step, every thought, every movement as an offering of praise and adoration.
I commit myself, the results, my teammates, my opponents and the officials to Your loving care.
Amen.

Prayer for one's opponent:
Father,
Thank you for the provision of a worthy and challenging opponent.
May we each compete honorably and in a way that demonstrates dignity and respect.
May we each experience the best of (sport) today.
Amen.

Prayer for the officials:
Prayer for emotional self-control:
Father,
Please empower me with control over my emotions as I compete.
By Your Spirit, enable me to overcome every factor that would lead to a loss of emotional self-control.
I commit every emotion I will experience to Your wise guidance and ask that You guard my heart from foolish reactions.
Amen.

Prayer for one's teammates:
Father,
Thank You for my teammates. They are my esteemed colleagues and trusted friends.
May we all honor You, respect each other, and experience the best this sport has to offer as we compete for Your glory today.
Amen.

Prayer for a post-practice meal:

Bed time prayer the night before competing:
Father,
As I anticipate tomorrow's competition, please enable me to rest well, to awaken refreshed, and to trust You with tomorrow's results.
I am well prepared and thankful for my life in (sport).
I commit my life and this night's sleep into Your watchful care.
Amen.

Bed time prayer the night after competing:
Father,
Thank you for this day's competition.
I commit the results into Your hands as a sacrifice of love.
I confess my weakness and sin as revealed by today's contest.
I abide in Your grace and mercy.
Thank You for a worthy opponent, loving teammates, respectful officials, and wise coaches.
Please allow my mind to rest, my body to recover, and my spirit to be at peace.
Amen.

Half-time prayer:

Prayer during breaks between periods:

Prayer during time outs:

Post-game prayer:

Prayer for teammates:

Prayer for an injured teammate:
Father,
My teammate is injured and I confess my shock, fear, and utter helplessness.
Please minimize his pain, heal his body, and restore him to compete again.
Please be very near to him in these moments of alienation and fear.
I commit my teammate; body, mind, and spirit, to Your lovingkindness.
Amen.

Prayer  for off-season training:

Prayer for competition on the Sabbath:
Father,
My life in (sport) requires that I compete today.
I agree with You that the Sabbath is holy and rest is important to godly living.
I will give my all to this day's sporting experience and will give You my all in Sabbath rest tomorrow.
Thank You that I may rest in relationship with You.
Amen.

Prayer for rest:
Father,
Please enable my mind to rest, my body to recover, and my spirit to be at peace.
I commit these impending hours of sleep into your gracious hands.
I trust Your heart and I seek Your will, even while I rest in Your loving arms.
Amen.

Prayer for strength:

Prayer for weight training:

Prayer for the family of a competitor:

Prayer for the spouse of a competitor:

Prayer for approaching a stressful moment:

Prayer to process a poor play, a wayward shot, or a disappointing performance:

Prayer after a satisfying performance:

Prayer after a bitter defeat:

Prayer after suffering an injury:

Prayer for one's coaches:

Prayer for team leadership:

Prayer for mental focus:

Prayer for Christ - honoring competition:

Prayer of worship in sport:
Father,
In creating (sport), You have provided me with a vehicle for full expression of worship.
My heart is filled, my mind is enlightened, and my soul is enriched with each passing moment.
Please receive my body's presentation in (sport) as a living sacrifice.
May it be holy and acceptable to You as I compete in Your honor.
I commit this contest, its every second  and its results to You.
Amen.

Prayer of praise in sport:

Prayer to calm one's mind and emotions:

Prayer for a post-practice meal:

Pre-practice prayer:

Post-practice prayer:

Pre-game prayer:

Prayer in the training room:

Prayer for a pre-game meal:

Prayer for strength:

Prayer  for off-season training:

Prayer for weight training:

Prayer for poorly performing teammates:

Prayer for excelling teammates:

Prayer to overcome envy of one's teammates:

Prayer of confession:
Father,
I confess that my behavior today was not pleasing to You.
I confess my lack of self-control and my foolish actions.
I confess that my speech was sinful and my attitude was selfish.
Please cleanse me from guilt and purify my sullied conscience.
I trust in Your mercy to forgive and Your grace to restore me.
Amen.

Prayer after failure:

Half-time prayer:

Prayer during breaks between periods:

Prayer during time outs:

Post-game prayer:

Prayer for teammates:

Prayer after winning a championship:

Prayer after tournament elimination:

Prayer for dealing with weariness:

Prayer for when you want to quit:

Prayer for dealing with pain:

Prayer when feeling lonely:

Prayer for maintaining humility:

Prayer for the emergency room:


Prayer approaching a session of injury rehab:

Prayer for dealing with teammates' failure and a defeat:

Prayer after a victory over a worthy and honorable opponent:

Prayer during competition with a dishonorable opponent:

Prayer during competition with a superior opponent:

Prayer prior to competition with a highly rated opponent:

Prayer prior to competition with a lowly rated opponent:

Prayer prior to a moment filled with emotion and anticipation:

Prayer for the spouse of a competitor:

Prayer for team travel:

Prayer for a team meal:

Prayer for a pre-game meal:

No comments: