Friday, March 9, 2012

Beware of Comparisons

Last week I was involved in a very large (nearly 900 people) event for our sports ministry’s staff. We had staff from across the USA in for the once every three years gathering to encourage and to cast vision for the future. As I drove the six hours from my home to Kansas City, Missouri I found myself thinking about all the people with whom I’ve served these last 18 years. Many are valued, trusted and deeply loved colleagues and friends, some annoy me a little and others have earned my distrust. As the miles rolled up my car’s odometer, I could feel my competitive nature preparing me for the inevitable pecking order that would be evident as we gathered and for the comparisons I knew I would certainly be making in a few hours.

If you’re not wired terribly competitively or are simply better in control of your nature than I am, please indulge me as I confess. Since I can remember I’ve walked into classrooms, dugouts, gymnasiums or wrestling rooms and sized up all the guys. “I could take that guy. I am faster than him. I’m tougher than that guy in the too-tight tee shirt.” Once I got a little older, I switched my comparisons to more intellectual issues, partly because my physical shape couldn’t support the former comparisons. “I’m smarter than that guy. I’m a better writer than him. Her use of grammar stinks!” We in the Church have our own special brand of comparisons, nicely packaged and neatly labeled with spiritual language. “I’m more committed than him. I’ve been on more mission trips than her. I have more scripture memorized than that guy. My car has a fish bumper sticker and a spiritually significant vanity license plate. I tweet quotes from A.W. Tozer and they don’t even know who he is.” On and on it goes. Thankfully, most of this is never expressed outside my own mind, but the effects are nearly as destructive.

After almost 45 years of development of my relationship with Christ I have finally learned to recognize these comparisons and my reactions to them as pure folly and sin from which to repent. One scripture which has stood guard on my conscience and has informed my heart is 2 Corinthians 10:12-13. “12 For we dare not class ourselves or compare ourselves with those who commend themselves. But they, measuring themselves by themselves, and comparing themselves among themselves, are not wise. 13 We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us—a sphere which especially includes you.” NKJV I will forever be a debtor to my mentor, Fred Bishop of http://www.nogreaterlove.org/, for his quotation of this verse when others were vainly making comparisons between ministry efforts. We are not wise when we make comparisons between our callings in Christ. You and I are each uniquely called, gifted and placed in ministry roles by the Living God. It is simply foolish to compare our various stations in service.

The ambitious, competitive nature of our hearts will no doubt nag us until we die or successfully crucify it completely. We must deal faithfully and ruthlessly with the comparisons whispered in our ears by our flesh, by our foolish friends and colleagues or even by the Enemy. I will pledge to you that my aim will be to embody Paul’s value at verse 13: ”We, however, will not boast beyond measure, but within the limits of the sphere which God appointed us—a sphere which especially includes you.” Let’s each live in the calling of God we have received freely and without comparison. Let’s rejoice in the limits of our sphere and further rejoice in the achievements of our teammates and colleagues, even the ones who annoy us or whom we distrust.

No comments: