Friday, September 24, 2021

Character Moment Composition Tips

As a part of the Nations of Coaches Character Coach training, we have been sharing the process I use to create simple, brief Character Moments. They may be discussions aimed at engaging everyone in sharing their thoughts, or they may be talks, where I’m sharing thoughts to inspire and motivate. The Character Moments may be “values based,” meaning I am not using scripture or they may be “faith based,” where I am having the Bible directly shape the ideas expressed.

Below are some slides directly from the training and instructions that add some depth to each.



A critical part of the process is to discuss with the team’s head coach (or whoever has given you entrance) the logistical details for the Character Moments. Where shall we meet (Locker room, players’ lounge, meeting room)? On what day and time? How much time do I get for this (15-30 minutes works very well for a discussion, 5-7 for a talk is plenty)? How often shall I meet with the players (weekly, bi-weekly)? Shall I do this is a “values based” format or can it be “faith based?”



In our training, we discuss a simple process for creating the “character moments,” and then do a simple exercise to try it out. The first part of the process is to think through a set of values (4-8) that could be foundations for a good team, making a list on paper. In serving your team, I highly recommend consulting with the head coach to make a list of such values. This leads to the greatest possible integration of his values and the focus of your developing the values in the players’ lives

We will share our lists around the room and then we’ll move onto the next slide outlining the creation process.


If I am leading a “values based” discussion, I prepare questions to engage the players’ hearts and minds. If I am doing a “values based” talk, I prepare succinct thoughts for expression in each section of the Character Moment.

I start with making a connection between the value chosen for this session and the players’ life experiences. Let’s suppose the value is “loyalty.” I may ask questions about who were strong models of loyalty for them as they grew up. I may mention a recent demonstration of loyalty by a teammate or coach, or an event from history or a recent story from their sport.

Secondly, I will either define the term in clear terms or make a point of emphasis about its importance to the team. If it’s a discussion, I may ask the players to look up a definition and to share it.

Thirdly, I will either ask them to identify, or I will identify examples of the value among their teammates presently. When discussing the value, as teammates recognize the value being lived out by their teammates leads to personal experience with the value, and the players being exemplary of the value are greatly affirmed by their teammates.

Lastly, I will ask a question or deliver a challenge to everyone about how they can each embrace and demonstrate this value among their teammates. This part of the discussion leads them forward into actions going forward.

 



When I have the privilege of leading a “faith based” discussion or talk, I use the same process with a couple of modifications.


If I am leading a “faith based” discussion, I prepare questions to engage the players’ hearts and minds. If I am doing a “faith based” talk, I prepare succinct thoughts for expression in each section of the Character Moment.

I start with an introduction of the value being highlighted, then making a connection between the value chosen for this session and the players’ life experiences or the team’s present situation (opponent, point in the season, team dynamics, relationships, etc.). Let’s suppose the value is “loyalty.” I may ask questions about who were strong models of loyalty for them as they grew up. I may mention a recent demonstration of loyalty by a teammate or coach, or an event from history or a recent story from their sport.

Secondly, I will introduce a scripture that either parallels their situation or informs the team’s chosen value. Given “loyalty” as the day’s subject, I would choose a text as informed by my own personal study and devotional reading, or I will use tools like a concordance, a topical Bible, or Bible software on my computer, tablet or phone. I personally like the YouVersion Bible app  https://youversion.com/the-bible-app/and its search feature. A simple search can provide a number of potential texts from which to choose. Please take time to read and apply the texts wisely, reading the broader context and ensuring proper use of the scripture.

Thirdly, I will extract from the chosen text a few points of emphasis as outlined therein. Still thinking about loyalty, I may have chosen a text about Jonathan’s loyalty to David and the actions he took in expression of his loyalty.

Fourthly, I will apply each of the points described from the scripture to the life of the team, today, here and now.

Lastly, I will ask a question or deliver a challenge to everyone about how they can each embrace and demonstrate this value among their teammates. This part of the discussion leads them forward into actions going forward. I usually conclude in prayer, often summarizing the scriptural points again.

 


One very important factor in the process of leading Character Moments is to determine the best possible location for their delivery. Seek the place with fewest distractions, greatest convenience to the players, and the place where they are most at ease. For “values based” Character Moments, I have found the locker room or players’ lounge to be very good. No coaches are allowed; it’s just me and the players. If they coaches are in the room, players will often posture and say what they think the coach wants to hear. I find them much more candid and occasionally even vulnerable when they’re surrounded by their teammates only. Others have found the training table to be very good for these discussions as everyone is relaxed by eating a meal together.

Most “faith based” Character Moments are delivered on game day, and that can lead to other locations. Among the best times for these are after shoot-around and before the pregame meal. In my case, I have a 5-minute window between the end of shoot-around and the start of the pregame meal in the room where the meal is served. This way, the Character Moment is voluntary but well attended, often including the coaches and support staff. Some coaches prefer this to be the night before a game or even randomly during the week.

In summary, this simple process of development enables one to communicate clearly, effectively, and in cohesion with the coaching staff. Regardless of your process, let’s find ways to be both priest and prophet to our coaches, players, and support staffs.


No comments: