Saturday, September 7, 2013

Nineteen Years of Privilege

In the middle of the last weeks’ super-busyness, I have had some time to reflect on how remarkably blessed I am to be in the position I hold, to be with the people I serve, and to be in the places I go. I  began this role with the Fellowship of Christian Athletes nineteen years ago after nineteen years in the building materials industry. When I drive past a lumber yard or a home center, I offer a prayer of thanksgiving like, “Thank you, Lord. I don’t have to do that anymore.”
 
I have walked the halls of dozens of schools in our areas to meet with coaches and student-athletes. Most of these meetings are very pleasant and encouraging. Occasionally they’re peppered with pain, grief, loss and challenges. They are always valuable because I believe these to be the most influential people in our culture and therefore to invest in their lives makes a difference, not only for them, but in the community at large as well.
 
I have stood on the sidelines of college football and college basketball as well as by the dugout of college baseball through a wide range of results. We have experienced great success and abject failure. In most instances, there are opportunities for ministry whether the team is undefeated, winless or even middling with its winning percentage at .500.
 
The last two seasons I have had the privilege of serving a Frontier League Baseball club as its chaplain through Baseball Chapel. I have enjoyed my interaction with these young men, the club’s manager and the coaching staff. Their love for baseball enables me to appeal to them to love God through knowing Jesus Christ in a unique way. Thursday night’s game concluded their regular season and as they were eliminated from the playoffs, the atmosphere at batting practice was loose and relaxed. As I stood watching b.p. the player who was pitching said, “Rog, jump in there.” I picked up a bat, took a couple of practice swings, and jumped into the cage. For not having hit live pitching in twenty-five years, I did pretty well. Then I shocked everyone by turning around and hitting some balls left-handed. It was the highlight of my week. To feel the pure vibration of a baseball well-struck by a wooden bat reminded me of my youth, now only resident in my heart and in my memory.
 
Last Saturday I stood on the 50 yard line of Memorial Stadium at the University of Illinois just before the opening kickoff and soaked in the sights and sounds of college football. It was near 130 degrees on the turf that day, but it was still a marvelous atmosphere. I had earlier delivered a chapel talk from Nehemiah chapter 6 and challenged our players to compete like this wise and powerful leader of Israel. I had spoken and prayed with my colleagues who serve our opponent and enjoyed marvelous fellowship with them. Our team fell just short of a comeback win, but showed great heart and perseverance. The three hour bus ride home was quiet, but full of hope for the future.
 
Last night I attended a local high school football game. One of the players who came through our university, through our ministry and whose wedding I officiated, is the head coach in his first job. He has inherited a program which has four wins in the last seven years. Given his schedule and his team, finding a win in this season and changing the culture of the program will be a major undertaking. We celebrated the simplest of accomplishments with the gathered friends and family. First downs, defensive stops, a score, tackles for loss, and completed passes were each and all greeted with shouts and applause. After the 48-6 loss was complete, I sent him an encouraging text message and he confessed that this is the hardest thing he’s ever done and really has no answers for his players. I simply affirmed that he’s doing the right things, that he should remain committed to the process, and must continue to be a transformational coach. He is making a difference, it’s just hard to see the results on the scoreboard.
 
As I sit here this morning, I’m anticipating another game day with another strong opponent for our college football team. I have a coaching friend coming in for today’s game day chapel talk and I can’t wait to again experience the sights, sounds, aromas, and emotions of sport. I fully embrace the rich opportunity that is mine to love God, to love sport, and the people who live in sport. Please join me in this passionate pursuit of God’s purposes for those of us who are so gifted.

No comments: