Thursday, August 19, 2010

Open: An Autobiography

I am four chapters into the book, “Open: An Autobiography” by retired tennis professional Andre Agassi. I have been stunned by the vulnerability he has displayed about his relationships with his father and with tennis. He says that he hates tennis and has for his whole life. He shares very openly about how his father drove him toward the goal of being #1 in the world since the time he was three years old. It is gut wrenching to read.



As I am reading I’m also wondering for how many of the athletes with whom I work is their experience with sport similar? I wonder how many of the players in my acquaintance hate their sport and those who drive them to excel in it? At some youth sports events I see sports parents who remind me of Andre’s father and I am grieved for the kids.


I’m still processing all that I’m reading, but am already more aware of the potential for the highly achieving to absolutely loathe the sport which has brought them fame and fortune. I cannot imagine the depth of conflict, guilt and shame that must be experienced by such people, but I am committed to seeking Christ’s consolation and peace for their tortured souls. Let’s trust the Lord Jesus for the grace to be His ambassadors to these people in such desperate need of His loving embrace.

No comments: